|This additional page to
URRY Family History is intended for those of you unable to visit the
Island but interested in some of the homes and properties of our
Today, none of these properties
remain within our family and anyone visiting the Island should remember
that the present owners of these private homes do not necessarily wish to
be pestered by impertinent camera armed tourists invading their privacy in
search of the past.
Clicking on the small photos
below will give
access to bigger pictures. Photos on this page may be copied only for personal family
use and if used for publication please mention this site.
||Great East Standen Manor - OS Grid Ref. SZ 525881
- 1362 - Sir Robert URRY's wife Petronella (aka Parnel) GLAMORGAN inherited this
Manorfrom her brother Nicholas GLAMORGON. In the Christchurch Priory Cartulary
there is also reference to a certain Orri (or Urri) of Standen dated 1100 but
this may refer to the greater Standen manor before it was subdivided. Although
the present building is obviously more recent the chimney buttress on the
northern end appears to be of much earlier construction. In 1446 the manor is
passed down from William URRY to his daughter Elizabeth who was married to
George BRAMSHOTT. It was later passed down to the COOKE family in a similar way.
A chapel, dedicated to the honour of St. Leonard, was in existence at Standen at
the end of the 13th century, belonging to the lords of the manor. The chapel at
the Dissolution was said to have been founded by the ancestors of William Urry,
but was probably refounded later, as in another return the foundation is
ascribed to Richard Covert. The chapel appears to have been still in existence
in 1780, as Mr. Sanders was then paying a fee-farm rent of £3 to the Crown for
East Standen Chapel. Ruins of the chapel, which has now entirely disappeared,
were to be seen in the orchard behind the house at the end of the 18th century.
Thorley Manor - OS Grid Ref. SZ 367891 - In the time
of Edward the Confessor the manor of Thorley was held by the Earl
Tostig. The manor is first mentioned as being held by William
Urry in 1250, and in 1273 the estate had already passed to his son
Robert Urry. In 1542 Robert Urry bequeaths Thorley Manor to his eldest
son David. In 1604 John Urry of Thorley receives a royal pardon from James I
(the original pardon is now held by Southampton University). At the
death of David Urry in 1625, the manor is passed to his son Thomas who
in turn, passes it to his son John in 1631. John and his wife Alice Scovell,
organized a welcoming reception for Charles I on his arrival on the
Island in 1647 From John the manor was passed to his daughter Elizabeth who
married Richard Lucy of Charlecote. After moving with her
husband to Stour Provost in Dorset, the manor was sold in 1679 to Sir Robert Holmes,
Governor of the Isle of Wight. The present house was built in 1712 on
the ruins of the last of the four previous ones. Thorley manor is still
run as a farm and is presently owned by Anthony Blest.
Thorley Church - Built in the 13th century, St. Swithun's Church
was founded by Amicia, Countess of Devon and was recorded as being
"of good proportions and some elegance". Sometimes known as the Urry Church as it was
maintained by the family as a private (but consecrated) chapel in the grounds of Thorley manor
As one may see from the photo of Thorley, all that remains is the southern
entrance, or transept, of what was originally a larger structure. The
position of the demolished nave can be defined by the outline of the once
surrounding graves. The bells
from this church, originally from Shalfleet church, remain to this day in the new Thorley Church. A hand engraved
brass plate portraying the Urry family arms which used to be fixed above
the door is presently in my possession, having been given to my father many years ago.
- 50°41'40"N - 01°19'44"W - An estate once known as URRY'S
PLACE was held from 1327 to 1362 by Robert Urry, son of
William Urry and his wife Isabel. The estate was later sold to
Laurence de St. Martin, lord of Alvington. From that time
this land descended with Alvington, being evidently incorporated
in the latter, since it is not mentioned by name after 1502.
Sheat Manor - OS Grid Ref. SZ 494845 - The present house
was built in 1600 by Thomas Urry as a home for his new wife Jane Day.
Ten Oak trees were donated for the building as a wedding gift from Jane's
kinsman Sir William Oglander. In 1586 the property was owned by
David Urry, yeoman of Afton. In 1777 Thomas Urry leaves Sheat Manor
to his niece Elizabeth Browne who married Windsor Heneage. In
1970 the manor was held by Mrs.E.S.Clarke, who is believed to be a descendant
of the Urry family. In 1975 Sheat Manor finally passes out of the family when it
is sold to Lieut-Col. G. W. Webber MBE. TD. K.St.J.
Although Catholicism was then forbidden, the Urry's, like
many islanders, apparently remained faithful to this religion and a priest's
hole was incorporated into the structure of this house. Mass was said regularly at Sheat over
many years and in 1750
a catholic priest, Fr. David Morgan from Havant, records
that he used to travel to Sheat Manor to secretly conduct these services. On the 28th
August 2002, Mass was again said at Sheat Manor for the first
time in over 200 years. Peter Clarke, President of the Isle
of Wight Catholic History Society arranged the event with permission
from the present owners, Lieut-Col. and Mrs. G. W. Webber MBE. TD.
Mass was celebrated by F. Bruce Barnes, parish priest of St.
Thomas', Newport, the Church that was built with a donation from Elizabeth
Heneage, daughter of John Browne
(of Kent) & Elizabeth Urry and the 3g-granddaughter of Thomas
Urry & Jane Day. The
Mass was to commemorate the recusant families like ours who risked fines
and imprisonment to maintain their faith during penal times.
Great Budbridge Manor - OS Grid Ref. SZ 530835 - Great
Budbridge Manor - In the reign of Henry III (1207-1272) the manor was
held by John de l'Isle, Henry de Botebrigge and Walter Urry.
It is recorded as being owned by William Urry in 1280. William's son, Robert
Urry was convicted in 1312 accused of slaying the Constable of Carisbrooke
Castle. Consequently some of his land was confiscated but it seems the manor was
spared as it is recorded as still being in the family in 1450. In 1633 the manor
was purchased by Sir Robert Dillington.
Court Manor - OS Grid Ref. SZ 457832 - Originally the seat of
de Redvers, the present house was built by Sir John Leigh
in 1616. Thomas Urry, son of Thomas Urry of Sheat Manor, married
Leigh, Sir John's daughter, in July 1660. The manor subsequently became
their home. Thomas and Penelope only had one son, who died
in childbirth, and two daughters. The eldest daughter Elizabeth, married
Oglander in 1680.
Manor - OS Grid Ref. SZ 453824 - Thomas Urry took the lease
on Wolverton Manor in 1703. It later passed to David Urry.
Manor - OS Grid Ref. SZ 534868 - In1348 Sir Robert Urry
died leaving his manor at Arreton to his son Robert. The URRY family were
landowners of the manor of Arreton for many years. However, it seems probable
that the manor had passed out of their hands before the present house was built
in the late 16th century. Today
Arreton Manor is open to the public and is in
excellent original condition; giving an insight to how the wealthy may have
lived 400 years ago.
Manor - OS Grid Ref. SZ 348868 - The Domesday Book records the
owner of Afton Manor as being the Saxon Earl Tostig (He who
fought with the Viking
"Hardrada" Sigurdsson and Eystein Orri at
the battle of Stamford Bridge). Later occupants took their name from the
property to become the De Affeton family. In the reign of Edward
III it had passed to the Brokenford family and in the 16th
century it was owned by the Bruen family.
Afton Manor originally came into the Urry family in
1591 when it was purchased by David Urry, son of David of Thorley. David's
brother, Thomas, was later to build Sheat Manor. In 1779 David Urry of
Afton died, apparently without sons, and left his Manors, Messuages, Farms,
Lands, Tenements and Hereditaments to his daughters married to Sir John Oglander and
The present Manor House was built circa 1700 by David Urry and his
wife Ursula Cheeke. The building, of early Georgian style, is now
listed as being of historical interest and (as may be seen from the blue plastic
sheeting) has just been extensively restored to a very high standard.
The extension beyond the original roof line at the rear of the house was
completed in the late 19th century.
present owner of Afton Manor has recently complained of people invading his privacy and
that these people claimed to have been enticed into doing so by this web site.
Quite to the contrary, this site exists so that we may all share some of the
magnificence of these properties without infringing on the privacy of somebody
Manor - OS Grid Ref. SZ 521854 - Prior to the Norman conquest
Merston manor was held by the Brictuin family.
The present house was built circa 1680 by Edward Cheeke (David
Urry's brother in law) and his wife Eleanor Oglander. The deeds of Merston Manor
passed to John Urry of Arreton in 1727 for the princely sum of £126,oo
Manor - OS Grid Ref. SZ 326861 - This seems to have come into
the family at about the same time as Afton Manor i.e. circa 1590. In
1758 John Urry died leaving only two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary, it was
probably at this time that the Manor went out of the family. Built
on the site of the earlier Urry residence, this more recent house
was built by the Ward family. In 1937 it was leased to a Spanish
nursing order of nuns who cared for wayward girls. In 1962 the lease was
taken over by Dominican brothers to give residential help to men with learning
difficulties. It is still being used for this purpose today.
Farm - OS Grid Ref. SZ 481833 - Believed to have been the home
of William Urry of Chillerton (b1674) and his descendants.
- OS Grid Ref. SZ 356898
- In the town of Yarmouth, a "Hospital", or Place of Refuge,
was founded c.1200 by William de Vernon, Lord of the Island, between
what is now the High Street and the foreshore.
named as the Hospital of Eremue, it later became known as "The
Refuge" and was rebuilt in 1711 by Capt. David Urry. After
his death, the house was leased to Sir William SYMONDS Chief Constructor
of the Navy. A later occupant and eminent architect, Daniel ALEXANDER
(1768 - 1846) installed battlements around the top of the house and
turrets on the roof. which led to the house becoming known as "The
The Sand House - OS Grid Ref. SZ 351896 - at
Yarmouth, built by the Urry family as a place to store and to dry sand,
prior to shipping. This sand was intended for the glass industry and it is
thought possible that the building may also have been used at some time for the
manufacture of glass. It is known that there was a glass house on the Island
during the late seventeenth century. It probably opened about 1674
and closed temporarily in about 1696 (glass
tax that had been imposed a year earlier) to re-open in about 1698 for another twenty
years or so.
The Isle of Wight trade in
pipe-clay for making 'white' glass-making-pots centered on Freshwater
and latterly was in the hands of David Urry and his descendants. In 1628 the " Fortune"
and the " Hour Glass", both ships
from Amsterdam, carried 160 tons of tobacco pipe clay from
Southampton to London for Richard Urry. In the port books, starting
from the earliest book examined (1664/5), there are references to
tobacco pipe clay being exported from the Island to many places,
including the glass-making centres of: London, Newcastle, Lynn, and
Topsham. By 1686 David Urry often used the boat "David of
Freshwater" with Richard PELL as master. During the same period there
were imports of pipe clay to the Island, including in March 1685/6 a
ship brought 11 tons of tobacco pipe clay from Poole. This suggests
that Urry was either blending the clay or acting as a merchant. There
is a possible reference to a 'working oven' in the will inventory of
David Urry of Afton in 1671, which might relate to glass making. In
1795 an author states "....the latter (white shining sand) is dug out
of some very valuable mines which are the property of David Urry,
Esq. near Yarmouth and from there sent to London and Bristol for use
of the glass manufactories".
| Many thanks to the Isle of Wight
Industrial Archaeology Society who kindly supplied the illustration of the Sand
House and who would be very interested in hearing from anyone who may have any
information about glassmaking on the Island.
|Pitfichie Castle - N
57°14'21.69" W 2°32'07.13" - Built on ancient lands owned by the family in
the mid 16th century, this castle only remained in our possession until 1597 when
it was sold to John Cheyne of Fortrie (MP for Aberdeen). Pitfichie
remained in the Cheyne family until about 1650, when it was purchased by the
Forbeses of Monymusk. In recent years the Castle has been totally refurbished
and can be rented for holidays. Those of you interested should contact the
'Scottish Castles' website by clicking
here or on the
copyright© Mark S Urry 1998/2006